The Companies Office online search facility has recently been extended to cover bodies registered with the Registry of Friendly Societies (RFS).
The RFS is the State body responsible for general regulation, supervision and maintenance of public records for:
- Industrial and Provident Societies (most commonly, agricultural, community and other co-operatives)
- Friendly Societies (e.g. benevolent societies)
- Trade Unions.
Until now, it was only possible to access the RFS database by writing or calling to their office at Parnell House, 14 Parnell Square, Dublin 1 (which it shares with Companies Registration Office).
However, it is now possible to use the Companies Office online search facility to access the following details for a society or trade union:
- entity type (whether friendly society, industrial & provident society or a trade union),
- date of registration,
- date of most recent annual return submitted to the RFS
- date of the last triennial return filed with the RFS.
In addition, once you access an organisation’s record, you can click on the “View Submissions” link to access a list of documents that have been filed for the society/union. Unfortunately it is not possible at present to use the onlnie facility to purchase or view copies of such documents. The RFS hopes to add this functionality at a later date. Documents can be purchased on request in writing to the RFS. A range of charges apply for such requests – see here for more details.
For more information on the Registry of Friendly Societies, see their Annual Report for 2010 here.